Work Permit

A Work Permit, previously known as “Employment Authorization”, we assist you to enroll into the programs such as Temporary Foreign Worker Program, Self-employed Work Permit, Spousal Open Work Permit, and others. For most qualified foreign nationals, it is a firm stepping stone towards permanent residency in Canada.

Canada is one of the best places to work and live as it is known for its pleasant environment, picturesque scenery, and multicultural society. We offer an easy and hassle-free way of matching prospective employers and working your way to obtain a Work Permit. With us, you can get personalized services for your specific needs, Nexus can smooth your pathway and lead your success into the Canadian workforce.

There are many different options for obtaining a Canadian Work Permit, depending on a person’s skill set to the current need of the Canadian labor market and the connection to Canadian communities, one may be eligible for applying a permit through one of the following programs:

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) is a program designed to allow Canadian employers to fill labor shortages by hiring foreign workers temporarily.

The criteria for this program are as below:

  • Have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer
  • Satisfy an immigration officer of leaving at the end of the authorized stay
  • Must demonstrate qualification for the job position being offered

International Experience Canada (IEC) gives youth the opportunity to travel and work in Canada for up to 2 years.

There are 3 different kinds of work and travel experiences available:

  1. Working Holiday:

  2. This program provides an opportunity for young people to experience Canada while gaining valuable work experience. The type of Work Permit is an Open Work Permit, which allows you to work temporarily (1 or 2 years) for almost any employer in Canada (some exceptions apply). This category is suitable for:

    • if you don’t have a job offer
    • if you want to work for more than one employer in Canada
    • if you want to work in more than one location
    • if you would like to earn some money so that you can travel

  3. Young Professionals:

  4. The program is:
    • Your country or territory of citizenship must have a Youth Mobility Agreement with Canada.
    • The Young Professionals Work Permit is available to 18-30- or 18–35-year-old citizens from 24 countries who have a job offer in Canada.

    The type of Work Permit is an employer-specific Work Permit. Your employer must fulfill all labor laws in the province or territory where you plan to work, including minimum wage requirements. This category is suitable for:

    • If you have a job offer in Canada that counts toward your professional development
    • you will work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

  5. International Co-Op (Internship):

  6. The type of Work Permit is an employer-specific Work Permit. The internship offered in Canada must be directly linked to your field of study. Wages and labor standards must follow the labor laws in the province or territory you will be working. The labor code will determine if an internship needs to be paid or not. This category is suitable for:

    • if you’re a student registered at a post-secondary institution
    • if you have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada
    • if you need to do this work placement or internship to complete your studies
    • if you’ll work for the same employer in the same location during your stay in Canada

The Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) lets foreign nationals continue to work in Canada while they await a decision on their permanent residency application. If you have a valid Canadian work permit that expires within 4 months and you have applied for Permanent Residence, you will need to apply for The Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP).

In recent years, Canada has positioned itself as an attractive destination for many foreign entrepreneurs, investors, and start-ups. For this reason, the Canadian government has created various business visa pathways through which foreign residents can gain permanent residence in Canada. If you are looking for purchasing or investing in an existing Canadian business while obtaining a valid work permit providing stability for you and your family, please consult us to explore possible options.

International students who graduate from Canadian learning institutes may have the opportunity to stay working in Canada and gain invaluable working experience in Canada. Following completion of a qualified academic or trade program at a Designated Learning Institutes (DLI) in Canada, one may be eligible to apply for a Post-graduate Work Permit (PGWP) which may be valid for 6 months up to a maximum of 3 years. A PGWP is an Open Work Permit and is LMIA pre-clearance. With minor restriction to certain trades, one may work for any employer in anywhere within Canada.

If your spouse has a valid work permit or study permit in Canada, or if you have applied to be sponsored for permanent residence by your spouse or common-law partner in Canada, you may be eligible for an open work permit.

Eligibility for a SOWP:

  • A spousal/common-law partner sponsorship application for permanent residence is submitted.
  • The applicant must have valid temporary resident status as a visitor, student or worker.
  • The applicant and sponsor must meet all eligibility criteria for the spousal/common-law partner sponsorship.